Daniel J. Cragg is an aggressive litigator with a focus on commercial litigation, employer defense, factoring and asset based lending, admiralty and maritime law, and procedurally complex cases, including cases against the government. Daniel has represented clients in State and Federal trial court and in administrative proceedings at the Federal, State and local levels. He has also argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, the Minnesota Supreme Court, and the Minnesota Court of Appeals. As a dedicated litigator, Daniel applies his extensive knowledge of procedure and judicial remedies to a wide array of case types, such as:
- Breach of contract and related business torts, including prosecuting and defending claims for breach of licensing agreements, factoring agreements, sale and lease of goods, settlement agreements, and complex service contracts.
- Competitor lawsuits, including trade secret claims, false advertising, Lanham Act, disparagement, unfair competition, and tortious interference with contract.
- Enforcement and defense of covenants not to compete.
- Complex creditor/debtor relationships, liens, and security interests.
- The Uniform Commercial Code.
- Enforcement of maritime contracts and liens, the maritime arrest and attachment procedures of the Supplemental Rules for Admiralty and Maritime Claims, and the defense of maritime claims under COGSA, the Jones Act, and the general maritime law.
- Defense of manufacturers/importers from claims by independent sales representatives, including claims under Minnesota's Independent Sales Representative Act, Minn. Stat. 325E.37.
- Defense of employment discrimination and retaliation claims under Title VII, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the Minnesota Human Rights Act.
- Defense of Grievances in arbitration under Collective Bargaining Agreements.
- U.S. Small Business Administration Size Protests.
- Bid Protests at the Federal and State level.
- Municipal land use and regulatory issues.
Daniel believes that understanding his client's business and long term goals is essential to effective representation. He thoroughly enjoys working with entrepreneurs, owners, and CEOs of privately held companies to successfully resolve cases so that his clients can get back to business. Daniel has represented billion dollar companies, as well as small and medium sized businesses, in a wide range of industries such as banking, construction, factoring, government contracts, importing, manufacturing, merchant cash advance, retail, software/tech, and temporary staffing.
Daniel is a cum laude graduate of William Mitchell College of Law. He received his B.A. in history and international studies from the Virginia Military Institute.
Areas Of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Labor & Employment
- Factoring and Asset Based Lending
- Government Contracts and Claims Against the Government
- Admiralty & Maritime
- International Trade and Customs
- Appellate Practice
- Minnesota, 2009
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 2009
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 2010
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2012
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2015
- U.S. Court of International Trade, 2016
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2017
- William Mitchell College of Law, St Paul, Minnesota
- J.D. - 05/2009
- Honors: cum laude
- Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, Virginia
- B.A. - 05/2004
- Honors: With Distinction
- Major: History
- Minor: International Studies
Classes & Seminars
- Claims Against the Federal Government, PTAC/ Lorman, 2012 to 2013
- State & Local Procurement in Minnesota, Lorman, 2013
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Star
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Minnesota State Bar Association North Star Lawyer recognition for providing pro bono service
- Lead Counsel Rated Attorney
- Minnesota Lawyer Up and Coming Attorney, 2014
Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member, House of Delegates
- Federal Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association, HCBA Representative to MSBA Assembly, 2017 to Present
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member, Board of Directors, 2017 to Present
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Secretary, Practice & Procedure Committee
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Proctor Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Rules of Professional Conduct Committee, 2017 to Present
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member, Court Rules and Administration Committee, 2015 to Present
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member, Legislative Committee, 2017 to 2019
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Chair, Judiciary Committee, 2014 to 2017
- Minnesota Supreme Court Historical Society
- Kelly & Lemmons, P.A., St. Paul, MN , 2009 to 2011
- Ramsey County Attorney's Office, St. Paul, MN, Certified Student Attorney, 2008 to 2009
Pro Bono Activities
- Federal Bar Association, Twin Cities Chapter, Pro Se Project, 2012 to Present